-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partitioning

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 08:43:06 -0400

LESSON LEARNED

When you change the default Programs Files in Vista you are changing an
environment variable.  After the change, shortcuts to everything
previously installed (or at least Windows Defender and all of the games
in the Games folder)  will look to the new variable to find its files.
Simply copy the Program Files contents (or a specific programs folder)
to the new Program files folder in the new location.  If you have a
64-bit Vista be sure to copy to the correct folder. . . "Program Files",
for 64-bit programs, or "Program Files (x86)" for 32-bit programs.

I do not know (yet) whether it is safe to delete the contents of the
original folder or not.  I am not in a hurry to find out either.  At
this point I do not recommend it.  I do not think anything will be
harmed by keeping it "just in case".

I tried editing the shortcut on one item and it did not work.

Don
in the Subject.