-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IE-7/ OE GOING UNSTABLE after a restore to exit IE-8

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 01:42:01 -0400

Hi Marc,
    I'm not sure how much help this is going to bring, but I'll give it a
shot.

    If the system was working fine after the cable modem was added but not
after the Updates were installed, it points to IE8 &/or one of the other
updates as the problem.  Since he went back to an earlier time using System
Restore, those problems should be gone.  Since they're not, something else
is going on there.

    Use System restore to go back just a little further than he did, but do
it with the cable disconnected.  After it reboots, connect the cable and
make sure the sysytem recognizes it as the default connection BEFORE you try
opening OE or IE7.  If all seems good, try IE7 first.  If that works well,
try OE.  If it doesn't work at any specific point, let us know where it
seems to go bad.

    Also, install Firefox for him and show him how to use it as a backup
browser.  He may find that he likes it bnetter than IE, which will get you
off the hook if you're unable to get his IE working well enough.  You can
also use it while you're there to acess your Gmail and get in touch with us
for additional help during the visit.

    Good luck, my friend.      :)

Peace,
Gman