-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partitioning

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:16:39 -0400

Low end laptops typically have 4500 or 5400 RPM hard drives.  All my
externals are at least that fast so I doubt the performance suffers too
much.  In high end laptops you pay extra for better cooling systems so
you can have faster hard drives and processors.

Flash drives are indeed S    L    O    W.  That is why you don't see
read/write speeds listed on the packaging.  You also don't see
"Optimized for Vista Ready Boost" very often either.  I wonder if one of
those Hi Speed SD memory cards sold in the photo center would be any
faster.  I have a card reader built in to my new desktop and a portable
one for the other computers.

EddieB wrote:
> Also you should weigh the performance of the portable device and how often
> you are going to access it.  Many portable HD's are slower than the average
> internal HD's.  Also, the performace of some flash memory sticks are
> surprisingly slow, especially when writing.  I'm not sure why, but writing
> large amounts of data to my memory sticks are really slow unless I tell my
> anti-virus program to skip USB portable devices.
>
> Ed

in the Subject.