-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partitioning

  • From: EddieB <fasteddieb216@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 00:08:57 -0400

Gman,

Maybe I'm still stuck in the old way of thinking about the pagefile, but I
always set the min and max to the same size.  I can very much imagine the
delays Windows will cause while it expands/contracts the pagefile.  But I do
know that the recommended size of 2.5x the amount of memory get more
ridiculous with the more memory you have.  Usually the more memory you have
the less the PC needs to use the pagefile.  I have read that even if you
have more memory than your system needs, Windows still uses the pagefile for
some things.  Its also recommended to keep at least a small pagefile in case
a badly written program writes to the pagefile without checking if there is
one.

I'm not really sure what the BEST pagefile size is, so I make it larger to
be safe.  I would love to have a program that can tell me whats the largest
size my PC has ever used, so I could make it just a little bigger.

Ed