-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox Revisited

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:50:15 -0500

Since you are no longer comfortable with Roxio, don't use it.  If you are
using WinXp you do not need third party software to save data to a CD.
(It's been too long since I used 98 or ME so I can't speak for them).

With the system up and running and (for safety sake) all other programs
closed... including some of those in the systray or notification area.  This
will free up as much system resources as possible.  Unless you disconnect
from the internet, do not close any of your security software.

1. Open Windows Explorer, expand the folder tree as necessary to easily
navigate to the folders containing data that you want to back up.  If you
suspect that some folders may be too large to fit on a single CD navigate
downward and backup subfolders intstead of parent folders.

2. Insert a blank CD-R or CD-RW into the drive.  A dialog box should open,
asking what you want to do with the disk.  Select to open a writable CD
folder using Windows Explorer

3.  Select one, or more, depending on size and preference, and right click
on it (them).  On the context sensitive menu select Send to and then select
the CD-RW drive.  OR, on the folder tree find your CD-RW drive in My
Computer and drag and drop the selected files to it.  OR, assuming the
writable folder you asked to open is still open, drag and drop directly to
it.

4.  Once you have selected, dragged and dropped all the files that you want
on the CD, go to the window with the writable folder open in it.  Where the
folder tree typically is, you should see a file and folder task list.  The
top task should be to write these files to the CD.  Click it and wait.
BRAVO!  The first CD is done.   Wasn't that easy?

NOTE:  If you have done a certain Windows Update (for WMP or IE or
something...I don't remember for sure) you may get a dialog box to select a
special formatting process for music or movies or something like that.  Just
say no.  You are writing data not music or movies.  Also, the writing
process may be slow, depending on your system, the drive and the amount of
data being copied.  It is safe to proceed to step 5 during the write
process.

5.  Go run a hot tub and pour a double jigger of scotch.  Relax and sip your
scotch slowly, enjoying every drop.  When the scotch is gone and the water
is cold, repeat all five steps until all data is copied to a CD.

Don