-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox Revisited

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:32:12 -0500

Yes, I can believe it.  I suspect that the number and/or total size of the
files selected was way too large for your available RAM and/or CPU to handle
in a single event.

I cannnot say what is too many files or what is too slow a CPU or too little
RAM as they all play against each other.  I frequently work with several
thousand files on a 3Gig CPU with 512MB of RAM and it can take what seems
forever.... like a couple of hours or longer.  When I know it will be a slow
process I start it just before bedtime.

Determine if too many files or too large a job is a possible cause of the
problem.  If so, break it down into much smaller pieces.   I would try a
piece about 10% of the original size.  If that works well, try a slightly
larger piece.  Repeat as necessary until the job is done.

If you cannot perform a "normal" shutdown, unplug the machine.  Wait a
minute or two and then plug it back in and turn it on.  The system will
probably want to scan your hard drive before booting.  Let it do so.

Problems such as this make a good case for regular full and sequential
backups of important data.

Don