-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox Revisited

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:52:13 -0500

In the future, to shut down the computer if it won't work using the =
normal method, all you need to do is hold down the power button for 5 =
seconds. System will then shut down. Don't do it this way unless =
absolutely necessary, as you won't get a shut down sequence, but instead =
you will get a quick cold shut down just like the plug was pulled. Only =
difference is that its more convenient than unplugging the system.

Regarding the CD drive...

Two ways you can eject the drive.

First way... After you've managed to shut down the system, you need to =
restart the system and then press the eject button just as you start the =
computer. Do it as soon as the power on the computer goes on... just =
keep hitting that eject button.

Second way... most drives have a little visible pinhole on them, usually =
directly beneath the tray. Get yourself a paperclip, stick it in that =
pinhole until you feel resistance, and then push that paperclip in with =
some force, effectively popping open the drive. And, don't worry... you =
won't break anything. That pinhole has a purpose, and I just described =
to you what it is. Its there for when you have a drive that will not =
open electrically. It's a manual eject.

You most likely just had a bad burn. Unfortunately, some drives don't =
like bad burns. So, they sort of jam up on you while the drive is trying =
to read it. Which is why you want to eject the drive before Windows =
loads up.

Try again. Try burning at the slowest possible speed and make sure you =
are not doing anything else on that computer. Every computer and drive =
is different. Some are more picky with how much resources it wants or =
even needs to effectively make the burn.

So... try the burn again, and don't worry... you're doing great. The =
datat is still there. No loss (unless its bad sectors and your bookmarks =
happen to be stored at that exact point). But, again, you need to do =
that error-checking scan. Even more so now that this happened. You want =
to make sure that the hard drive did not go bad on you.

---Troth