-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox Revisited

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:28:35 -0500

What I was saying was that S.M.A.R.T. data not being what the 'program' =
thinks it should be doesn't necessarily mean the drive is bad. For =
example, you go to the doctor and he checks you out.  Your heart rate is =
very fast, faster than most other people. Well, ok, so your heart rate =
is out of the norm. Doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with =
you. For you specifically, it might be normal. Same thing with =
S.M.A.R.T. data. SMART stands for 'Self-Monitoring, Analysis and =
Reporting Technology'. Basically, most modern drives have sensors on =
them that report this SMART data. You need a special app to be able to =
read this data. This data reports specific conditions of the drive. It =
gives you the symptoms, if any. Its still up to you to try and figure =
out if there's really a problem. So, if something shows not right on =
SMART data, it 'could' mean bad, but not necessarily. But... =
none-the-less, you should look further into it. According to Ariolic =
Software, "currently the SMART system can detect about 70% of all hard =
drive errors." Read this: http://tinyurl.com/9wye8

Disk Defragmenter defrags the drive. Does nothing in regards repair, =
analysis, diagnose, etc. Defragging basically keeps all your like-data =
together, for faster access to said data. You can do a Google search on =
"defrag" for a thorough explanation of that and why its good to defrag =
often.

Will get back to you on a freeware app for checking the drive. At work =
now, so don't have much researching time on hand.

---Troth