-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox Revisited

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:43:08 -0800

I have a couple of things to add here.

I agree with everything Don said.

Having said that.......    I seriously doubt the Hard Drive manufacturer
will have a warranty on the hard drive if it came with your machine.   I
just lost a hard drive, a western digital.  I have lost drives in the past
and they were replaced, no problem!  They made it easy.

To check the warranty from the manufacturer, go to the hard drive
manufacturer's website.  You will have to have the serial number of the hard
drive before you can check on the warranty on the manufacture's website

But, this time, when I went to the Western Digital website, it told me the
drive was not under warranty as it was an OEM drive and I had to go to the
place I got it.
That shocked me as I did not think this drive came with my computer.  (When
I bought my computer, I bought a 5 yr warranty at the store...FRY's, so I
guess they will have to replace the hard drive.)  So, check out the website
for the manufacturer of the hard drive and if that does not work, go to the
computer  Brand, HP, Dell, Sony, etc.

If the drive is under warranty from the computer brand, go to them FIRST.
That is the easiest.  Just have your serial number, etc handy and prepare to
be on hold, get a drink and relax! ha ha!  .

If there is no warranty issue and you just have to buy a new drive, you are
in luck.  This time of year there are a gazillion sales!
This week CompUSA has a 300 GB hard drive with 16 MB cache on sale for $99
after an instant savings of $40 and a mail in rebate of $60.
(I got one a couple of weeks ago at Fry's for $79 after rebates!)

You could also check the Sunday Paper.  There will be sales each Sunday till
Christmas and the day after Christmas.
I would check www.CompUSA.com
www.CircuitCity.com      I just got a Wacom Tablet - Want Intous 3 - 4x5
tablet for $143. NO REBATES! (It sells for $199 at the Wacom Site and up to
$219 elsewhere) I got an ad in the mail for a 4 hour sale...ordered it on
line and picked it up in the store.  (There was a stand alone ad in the
paper for $15 off anything (maybe over $100) so that is why it was $143
instead of $168 which was still a bargain!)
www.BestBuy.com
www.OutPost.com  (This is the online Store for Fry's Electronics)
www.OfficeDepot.com
www.OfficeMax.com

Remember, most stores have price matching.  If you have the ad, take it to
the store closest to you and check it out.  Sometimes the store will call
the other store to make sure they have the product available.  Most times,
they just see the ad and honor the price.  I have done this MANY times over
the years....with NO hassle.  If the ad is online and you do not have the
newspaper, print out the ad.   You could try to call the store first to
check their policy and make sure you have your ducks in a row.   I think
Office Depot even has a policy that it will give you back the difference
plus 10% if you see the item advertised cheaper elsewhere.

Read the fine print and act quickly.
For instance.... CompUSA had a sale... in the  Sunday..but only for six
hours particular hours on Sunday...so check it out!
Circuit City's add was only for 4 or 5 hours on line! (They have the buy it
on line and it is ready in the store for pickup in 24 minutes or get a free
$24 gift card!)

I sign up for the store ads.  It is usually one email a week and I do not
get spam because of it.  They do not share your address.  This helps keep me
on top what is on sale.You can buy most sale items on line.  You may also be
able to get free Shipping.  CompUSA has a deal.  You pay $20 to join their
loyalty club.  That is what they call it in the store.  It is the CompUSA
Network For Business - For Work, For Life, For Play.  You do not have to
have a business to join.  For the $20 for the year, you get:

Free standard Shipping on online orders.  We got 100 DVD's  (for about $10 )
and the shipping was free.  DVD's are heavy!
Free Annual Computer Cleaning & Tune-up.  You just bring your PC into the
store with the certificate you get in your membership package.
You can track all your purchases.  You get points for all your purchases and
can get free stuff with the points.  Just getting the PC tune-up cleaning is
worth the $20.  I doubt I will spend enough to get anything with points, but
the free shipping and cleaning make it worthwhile in my mind.

In any case...you have great help here.  These folks are great!
Enjoy!
Rose