-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firefox Revisited

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:45:58 -0500

I can't comment about the Component Services, as that's a whole =
different story. But, unless something has directly gotten your =
attention with that, I wouldn't even fool with that. Your main concern, =
at the moment, is figuring out if you have a bad drive and how to back =
up all your stuff should the need arise.

You have stuff that you can't loose. The first step is making an actual =
list of what you need to keep and can't lose. Ok, so you have bookmarks. =
What else? Do you have saved email that you need? Do you have files in =
the My Documents folder? My Music? My Pictures? What else? Make a list, =
and try as hard as possible to think of everything. Doesn't have to be =
done all in one shot, but start the list and keep adding to it as soon =
as you think of something else. Once you're sure you have everything, =
and once you've made up your mind that its time to proceed backing up, =
THEN we can continue that step. Oh... and what Don has stated in his =
post regarding what experience you have and all the other things along =
that line... you can help us to help you if you can answer those =
questions.

Now... to straggle away from this chain of thought and to focus on an =
additional option that you have...

If you were to purchase a new hard drive, and install it, you now have =
an additional tool. Without actually directly affecting your current =
installation of Windows, you can install a SECOND copy of Windows. So, =
in essence, you will have two copies of Windows installed on that =
machine. One on the old drive and one on the new drive. If done right =
(and we can help with that) what would happen is you would start your =
computer and a menu would pop up asking you which installation of =
Windows you would like to run. You would have 2 choices. The original =
Windows you already have installed and the second copy you just =
installed. If you go into the first, it would be the same as it is now. =
If you go into the second it would be a completely new installation of =
Windows. But, all the data will still be on your main drive. Hence, you =
now have the ability to grab all the files you need from the first =
drive. You can set up your internet and ebay stuff on the new =
installation and continue to work while also working on this backup =
stuff.

Then, when you're all good and ready and are comfortable with the new =
installation and backups, THEN you can completely remove the first =
installation and only use the new installation.

Yes... this one gets tricky. Its not HARD, but it gets tricky cause this =
is probably all new to you and we have to sort of help you through it. =
Will require patience and persistence.=20

---Troth