[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:28:19 -0500

>In my view, the NAB should have been concentrating
>more on getting some sort of minimum performance
>standards for DTT receivers out there. Either in terms
>of labeling alone (as in, "cheap minimal receiver only
>in this set") or in terms of minimal acceptable
>standards required to bring the product to market. And
>concentrating less on just the defeatist must carry
>legislation.

Why?

The NAB, and the broadcasters that they represent are not concerned
about the ability of broadcasters to stand on their own. They ARE
concerned about getting broadcast content carried by the services
that deliver 85% of the homes in the U.S.

If they were really interested in making a go of OTA broadcasting
they would use it to compete. Instead of putting all of their energy
into the issue of forced carriage of multicasts, they would threaten
to pull most of the good content from cable and DBS, giving people a
GOOD reason to put up an antenna. Then and ONLY THEN, would good
receivers be important to NAB and the broadcasters.