[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:44:37 -0700

One consideration was left out of the flawed thought process below. As with
Cable and Satellite STBs: why would anyone want one of those? The answer,
of course, is to receive services one cannot receive with an integrated
receiving device. Perhaps the real problem with DTV OTA is that there is
very little which is compelling to watch which would justify the expenditure.

Blaming the 8VSB transmission system to me is a cop out: there is little
mention of the struggle many local broadcaster's are facing with having to
manipulate the DTV stream BEFORE 8VSB modulation. I can tell you from
experience that many broadcasters are having problems with the elements of
their stream which prevent clear reception and seamless channel navigation.
Matching MPEG-2 PSI tables with the PSIP TVCT, ensuring descriptors are
correct, that the TSID is inserted correctly in the PAT and TVCT etc, etc
will greatly affect the way the variety of DTV receivers will function.
Unfortunately, many local broadcasters are not investing in proper stream
management as well as proper 8VSB monitoring tools.

The bottom line is that many broadcasters do not take DTV OTA seriously: in
many cases, the transmitter was installed four years ago and  the
manufacturer has to be called to make routine adjustments. Bear in mind
that any sophisticated digital modulation scheme depends upon a proper
analog  setup adjustment to ensure adequate audience reach.

So before jumping to superficial conclusions, please consider the above.

Terry Harvey