[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: BenWebber@xxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 01:04:44 -0500

Terry Harvey wrote:

> One consideration was left out of the flawed
> thought process below. As with Cable and Satellite
> STBs: why would anyone want one of those? The answer,
> of course, is to receive services one cannot receive
> with an integrated receiving device. Perhaps the real
> problem with DTV OTA is that there is very little which
> is compelling to watch which would justify the expenditure.

I'm not sure what exactly flaws Terry found in my post, but I'll agree
that a great DTT value proposition would stimulate demand for both
integrated and stand-alone receiving devices. That's mostly a function
of content, I believe. If somebody is proposing a hypothetical killer
service offering that is ONLY available via DTT STB, then I'll concede
that it would increase demand for stand-alone receivers. I don't think
we've seen one yet, though.

> Blaming the 8VSB transmission system to me is a cop out...

Sorry, but which part of my post sounded like I was blaming the
transmission system? Or am I misunderstanding Terry's response? I'm not
an engineer, and I have no interest in getting sucked into the ongoing
rants about 8VSB, either pro or con. I'm hoping to confine my
observations to market characteristics.

Cheers,

Ben