[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:51:09 -0500

Ron,

You're right.  They know what plasma displays are.  They know what HDTV is.
They have bought over 17 million "DTV Displays".  Yet the manufacturers
don't advertise ATSC receivers, so there is no knowledge of them..  Go into
Best Buy or Circuit City.  There are no ATSC receivers on the shelves.  Go
to their websites and look for them.  Best Buy's web site has one HD DirecTV
receiver with a built in ATSC tuner.  That's it.

The manufacturers, of which there appears to be fewer and fewer, are not
advertising them for sale.  Should they be surprised there is no demand for
them, or are their R&D labs telling them something else?

John