[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

Bob Miller wrote:

 > Two markets left. The mandated integrated HDTV set and the cheap
 > converter box, both a government driven market.

I believe in the functioning of free markets but that does not mean I
really believe they really always work completely.  Or at least not
enough to make a religion out of it.  There has already been enough
politics in this issue that markets alone are certainly not going to fix
things.

But why won't anybody tell me how many dollars more it would cost to
make a box that works.  People are saying things about $100 boxes and
$50 converters for pieces of crap that don't work.  And then we all get
irate that nobody seems to want to buy them.

However early adopters are paying many hundreds currently.  I am
completely sure that at least a few people would pay a premium for a
working box.  If it was only a very very few than I suppose the 'market'
would charge a premium for them.  But there would still be a market at
SOME price.

With all the very smart very knowledgeable people on this list can't
anybody tell me how much more it would cost?  C'mon, someone be bold.
Just a SWAG?

Pretty please?!!!!!

- Tom