[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:05:26 -0500

Jay Cordova wrote:

> Error: it was a Samsung receiver that my brother
> in Sterling, VA had very little luck with when
> compared to the older Motorola.
>
> Today he went and got another Motorola (newer
> generation than the last), and it apparently
> receives much more than the Samsung with the same
> rabbit ear set up.
>
> "Now I can get channels 4, 5, 7, 9, 14, 20, 50,
> WETA, MPT, MHz1-4, PAX, WNVC, WHUT, WJZ (Baltimore),
> WBAL (Baltimore), and a few others (Hagerstown,
> Frederick)."
>
> Not as good as the older Motorola (20-something
> channels), but much better than the Samsung (very
> small handful of channels).

And on this list that enjoys ATSC-bashing any chance
they get, that ain't half bad reception. If your
brother is receiving Baltimore on his rabbit ear
antenna, that's indoor reception from 45 miles as
the crow flies, I think we determined from the CEA
web site, right?

Frederick is probably similar distance.

So, not bad for indoor reception. Compared with any
scheme you care to compare it to. The problem is,
you still have to cherry-pick the receiver. That's
the aggravating part. And under different conditions,
the Motorola might be less effective than the
Samsung.

For your info, those super receivers that were
supposed to have been available by last quarter
never materialized in production form. Bob Miller is
trying hard to figure out why.