[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:06:48 -0500

BenWebber@xxxxxxx wrote:

>LG's decision not to manufacture a 5th-gen ATSC STB arises from the
>obvious fact that demand for ATSC settop boxes is not significantly
>different from zero. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing to do with
>manufacturing costs.
>
>The only significant demand for any kind of ATSC tuner is in integrated DTV
>sets (and that, only because of legislation requiring their presence).
>
>I confess to both ignorance and apathy regarding the arcana of the modulation
>wars that occupy so much bandwidth on this list, but it seems
>obvious to me that LG's behavior is a function of simple economic
>self-interest. Apply Occam's razor, guys.
>
>Regards,
>
>B.

>Ben Webber               Managing Director
>Psychofish, LLC          ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>180 N Stetson Ave #810     312-819-4042(v)
>Chicago, IL 60601 USA      312-819-4041(f)

If LG were to operate in its own self interest and can build a receiver
based on the prototype we tested then I would suggest that applying
Occam's razor they should produce it.

My reading of the situation has been the same since 1999. If you have
receivers that work OTA is a gold mine. If it is a gold mine it is a
gold mine for LG. LG makes ten times the IP royalties off of an 8-VSB
receiver that a COFDM receiver generates and they are selling COFDM
receivers in OZ where they have to pay OUT  an royalty instead of
COLLECT one TEN times the size.

The more you examine this the more bizarre it gets.

Selling COFDM receivers in OZ a market of 7 million homes where you have
to pay a royalty on each one and stopping production of 8-VSB receivers
for a market of 109 million homes where you are paid a royalty ten times
as much and you obviously aren't required to pay yourself one.

Bob Miller