[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:56:58 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

>Bert,
>
>You fail to mention HAAT for the Berlin towers, and until that is known, you
>can't know where the radio horizon is, nor how much more power is required
>to reach further.  If the Berlin towers are at 150 feet HAAT, the radio
>horizon is only 17 miles away.
>
>Far field reception of COFDM was not a problem in the 1999 Sinclair tests,
>nor was it a problem in the flawed MSTV tests (successful reception up to 55
>miles away.)  With identical ERP and HAAT, you would be hard pressed to
>notice a difference in reception between the two in the far field.

Actually there was  a difference between the two in the far field. When
Sinclair went back with a "receiver" that had a decent front end and
tested seven sites in the far field where COFDM had failed it now worked
at all seven. 8-VSB had not worked at one of those seven sites. If you
go on single point data to a conclusion then COFDM was better in the far
field.

Bob Miller