[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:45:13 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

>John Golitsis wrote:
>

>>Where's the NEED for an off-air receiver?  I'd have one, but all the channels
>>are on digital cable...and I have an HD-PVR to boot.  An off-air receiver
>>would
>>only be of any use if all I wanted was network TV.  How many fall into that
>>category?
>>

>If there is no need of off-air receivers then you would think there is
>also no need for off-air broadcasters and we can just reclaim ALL the
>spectrum.
>
>I think that if the company that stands to gain the most from the 8VSB
>IP says it is not economically justified to either build boxes or
>license chips then we might as well just believe them, and stop hoping
>for working 8VSB receivers.  We can do something else.
>
>- Tom

They will license them the problem is to who. Companies I have talked to
lately are all in the same frame of mind. Where is the market?

Only for the few who already have HDTV sets who didn't bother with a
receiver before.

Two markets left. The mandated integrated HDTV set and the cheap
converter box, both a government driven market.

Bob Miller