[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:02:26 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > Once people start buying integrated sets, demand for
 > STBs will drop. But if integrated sets come with the
 > cheapest possible 8-VSB tuners, then demand for the
 > really good tuners in STBs should remain.

My own guess is that after a shutoff we will find that, no the
integrated tuners are NOT good enough but will then find someone
successfully marketing STB's that work to supplement the cheap
integrated tuners.  Demand for the 'good' tuners should rise (emerge?).

Of course this assumes it is possible to build and market an STB as good
as the 5th gen Shubin test box.  But hopefully it is. At the least I'd
assume someone would at least try to build some OTA PVR's that work once
analog is shut off.

In spite of my avowed skepticism about the tuners I'm still in favor of
shutting off analog as soon as possible.  I think the resulting hoopla
will probably start a debate and terminate a stalling process that might
otherwise take another dozen years.

- Tom