[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 19:57:34 +0100

Saturday, May 28, 2005, 7:32:31 PM, John Wager wrote:

JW> Living in Chicago, I'm more familiar with the reverse of your example:
JW> Mayor Daley the elder made sure that there were LOTS of people who had
JW> the POWER to vote but did NOT have the right to vote!

:-) I forgot about him!

JW> Many of them lived outside the city; many voted twice or more.  Hence
JW> the slogan in Chicago: "Vote early and vote often!"

I didn't know that came from Chicago, I love it! (I did know a lot of people in
cemeteries voted there...)

We Limeys have a postal voting scam Daley would have
loved, I'll see if I can find some links.

***

In some of those Southern States there were people with extra voting
"rights", I believe (registration as percentage, blacks, 5, whites, 120)
but I should really check that out.

Judy

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx