[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:41:28 -0400

Paul Stone wrote:

"My quarrel is not that I don't have free dental, its that [poor people]
DO!!!"

Not to argue against Paul but the free dental poor people get, at least here
in Toronto, is minimal.  It takes weeks to get an appointment at a few
specially designated clinics and then one gets very basic treatment.  I am
certain that Paul would not be happy with the service he would get under
free dental service.

It seems to me that the issue is not whether poor people should get benefits
not available to others but whether government is the best agency for
providing those benefits.  In the past in the West and in many parts of the
world today, religious institutions have provided these services.  If we
don't like religion, what could replace religious institutions and be more
effective than government in putting the weakest parts of our society in
position to contribute?  It is one thing to bitch and moan about government
(this is not aimed at Paul!), but another to suggest a reasonable
alternative.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON