[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:43:00 -0500

Paying taxes doesn't bother me.  We Americans pay
> very little in taxes.

You can thank President Bush for this one also.  Did anyone on this
list refuse their tax check refund or give it away to their favorite
charity?

  It's that we get so little in return that pisses me
> off.  At minimum we should have national health insurance.

This is simply a conflict of visions.  You don't mind having your
money taken and redistributed by politicians but I do.  I know best
how to spend the money I earned and I don't expect the government to
provide things like health care (nor do I think I'm entitled to it).=20
Do we agree that health care needs reform?  Without doubt.  But we
disagree on the methods and the very nature of how we ought to order
our lives together.  And, apparently, on the meaning of fairness.

  But when you
> spend more on your military than all the rest of the world COMBINED, what
> can you expect?

As a percent of GDP the U.S. isn't even in the top ten in military
spending.  But what I expect is what we've had: peace through
strength.

~Brian~