[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:47:42 -0400

Brian wrote:

>>Tax freedom day in Canada is some time in June (I seem to remember) and
>>it doesn't bother me as much as you might think.
>>

>I have no idea how much it would bother you.  You might enjoy living
>in a welfare state.

It was a figure of speech, Brian.

>  I know that a lot of my money is boondoggled, but it also pays for decent
> health care for me and all my 62 [26 or so, actually] million neighbours.
>

>Brian:
>Decent to poor is generally the consensus I read and hear and I think
>I'd call the health care system itself a boondoggle.  The debacle of
>treating health care as a right.

Well, call me crazy, but I'm happy with it.  (Not that it couldn't use
improvements...or even an overhaul).  Most Americans get their
impressions of the Canadian system from the mouths of the AMA and the
health care insurance industry.   My mother has had three brain
surgeries to remove tumours in the last twenty-five years.  The first
was in the States (she lived in Chicago then) and, even with Blue Cross,
she paid for ten years on that debt.  The other two she had here in
Canada (after immigrating in the 1980s) and never paid a penny.  Pretty
good value for her $700 health premium.    I know that's just anecdotal
evidence and can be countered with stories about waiting lines and
shortages etc.,  but it is enough evidence for me that the system works
'decently'.

>  (Canadian health cards, by the way,
>

>>fetch a pretty penny on your side of the border.)
>>

>Really?  I can't imagine why.  Even in the frozen tundra I guess the
>grass looks greener on the other side.

Meaning?   You can't imagine that there are Americans playing Canadians
to get free medical care?   With a card, you can go to Emergency and be
hospitalized and operated on and sent on your way without passing the
finance office.   Ontario has moved  to picture cards to cut down on
fraud.  I imagine this is what Paul was spending his time on...

Ursula
in North Bay, ON