[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:23:06 -0400

>It seems to me that the issue is not whether poor people should get benefits
>not available to others but whether government is the best agency for
>providing those benefits.

I agree.

>PE: It is one thing to bitch and moan about government
>(this is not aimed at Paul!), but another to suggest a reasonable
>alternative.

I have no quarrel in WHAT the [Canadian] health care system provides, it's
the way in which it provides it that is the problem. I am a direct
beneficiary of its existence (having had a life-saving heart operation 16
years ago) which would have probably bankrupted my family, had we lived in
the USA. I didn't pay a dime for anything other than a single 4 weeks
subscription after the operation. No problem...

BUT... the three year HELL that I went through in order to jump through all
the hoops to GET the operation? now there's something WRONG with that. It
could be much better. It could save lives -- I almost died as i went from a
healthy teenager to a very sick college student while I waited -- and it
most surely could treat people in a more timely fashion if the government
wasn't in control of it. Like I said a few months ago... this universal
health care is pretty good, if you're almost dead, but if you're just sick,
mmm, not so much.

Paul

p.s. by the way, Phil I know your parenthetical remarks were inserted JUST
to be nice <marlena wink>

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada