[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:53:19 -0400

>A.A. In other words, you think government should be immune from inflation.

No. Those are YOUR words, not mine.

>You may not have to pay drug prices under penalty of jail, but quite
>possibly under penalty of death or disability if you have a treatable
>disease and can't afford them.  Especially since the drug prices are
>artifiically high.

This has NOTHING to do with taxes. I'm not arguing that private companies
DON'T artificially increase their prices, of course they do, I'm arguing
that the government wastes MY FUCKING MONEY on a daily basis. And, secondly
I'm arguing that they DON'T waste the poor people's money because they
aren't paying any money to the government in the first place. Government is
NOT a business.

>A.A.  They work the same way everything works.  Humans don't change much,
>inside government or out of it.

Well, to be a whiner again, they SHOULD change when they get in positions
of power.

>A.A. You sound outraged that they're charging more while never mentioning
>all the other merchandise and services that went up.

Have you ever done a job for the government? The reason they cost so much
is because of needless bureaucracy. They complicate things wastefully and
their concentration is never on getting the job done, but on how it LOOKS.
That costs money. They waste my money on stupid things. I AM outraged about
that. And when you say 'went up' what exactly do you mean? I haven't had a
raise that is equivalent to even inflation, but the government keeps on
keepin on. Since 50% of the money I spend every year is TO THE GOVERNMENT,
I complain about it because regardless of the stuff I CHOOSE to buy with
the leftover, I DON'T have a choice about that other half pissing in the
wind increasing steadily because of their need to maintain new budgets
covering inflation. The end result is that I pay more and more taxes
(without a choice) and have less and less to spend for myself. My argument
is that I should be able to spend my money on what I want to, but I can't.
That's why I'm outraged.

>A.A. Life is unfair.  You always have the option of becoming poor and
>getting free dental care, which I have a feeling is pretty minimal.

That's a stupid argument. I could go to jail if I wanted a gym membership
too? My quarrel is not that I don't have free dental, its that THEY DO!!!
Can't you see that?

>If you're going to change the system, you have to think ahead of time how you
>would like the system to look before you change it.  Just off the top of
>the head platitudes about keeping more of our money are meaningless.

How about giving me my 700 bucks (and all the other thousands) back so I
could buy my OWN health insurance -- IF I WANT TO!!!

>Would you feel better if all social services were eliminated?

I would if a lot of them were eliminated. Yes. I would. Much better!

>If so, you might want to take a look at a third world country.

Is The United States a Third World Country?

paul