[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 10:02:32 -0400

John McCreery wrote:

"I am a mugger armed with a Glock. I demand your money or your life and
plainly have the power to take both. Do I have the right to?"

Nope.  Because that is not how we use the word 'power' or 'right' when
we talk of 'police powers' or 'police have the right to ...'.  If we
want to know whether police have the right to enter our homes, we turn
to the laws of the land, not the weapons they carry.  It may be that the
powers the police possess lead to unjust acts, in which case one would
act to alter the laws of the land.  The judgment regarding the justice
of those acts lies outside of the functioning of government but the
determination of those powers, or what police have a right to do,
occurs, and can only occur, within government.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON