[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:30:43 -0500

> Fine.  No problem here.  Why not drop the inalienable bit?  In fact why
> not
> drop the whole rights talk?  Just talk about what the government does and
> what we want the government to do.

Fine with me too.  But there are those Robert Paul types who believe in
reason and reason that given such and such a belief, such and such follows.
I've never been able to follow any of my thoughts home, so I wouldn't know.
But yes, what government should do is, I believe, community decided.
There's nothing sacred about private property or markets or even political
freedom.  "Rights" are what we human beings decide is best for us out of the
experience of our species.  I have no problem calling that "best for us"
inalienable rights as a short cut, but it's not like God said so.

Mike Geary
Memphis
where God says "So" every Sunday