[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 11:54:22 -0500

Yes! I can offer evidence in support of Mike's thesis; I grew up in
Florida before Disney World.  It was the Florida of "The Alligator Farm"
and of "Tommy Bartlett's Deer Ranch" and see-through boats at Crystal
Springs and pyramids of water-skiiers at Cypress Gardens and "Naval
Oranges" at every red light.  (Remember: Before Disney World there
weren't even any "inter-states" like I-95; every road to Florida was
two-lanes, at least through mercenary towns.)

And it was the Florda of "tubing down the Itchnitucknee River" although
I can barely remember it, much less spell it. We'd get inner tubes, back
in the times when automobiles had them inside tires, and put a beer
cooler on one, the rest of on our own, and just float down the river for
most of the afternoon, looking down at the bottom twenty feet below
through the pure, clear water, and drinking beer after beer.