[JA] Re: Firefox/Thunderbird/AOL

  • From: Larry Cook <lcook@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:07:17 -0500

Carolyn,

It sounds like Jim and Rick have answered most of the questions in your
previous email.

> On-line until I can make either Tunderbird or Eudora work.

When you are off-line and tell Thunderbird to send email, it is going to try
to dial your modem and connect to your ISP.  Since AOL is your ISP, that is
why it is trying to connect to AOL.  Additionally, Thunderbird needs to be
configured for AOL's SMTP server.  Did you do that?

And if you want Thunderbird to read your Juno POP3 account (must be a paid
account), then it needs to be configured for pop.juno.com.

> The advertising load is incredible for what they're charging every month.

Have you checked to see what local ISP's offer?  Just look up Internet in the
Yellow Pages.  Before going to DSL I used a local ISP, and by local I mean
they had a single office that I could walk into and talk with the owner and
his two employees.  I asked if I could see their equipment and they showed me
their servers and modem banks in their back room.  They didn't have weekend
tech support, but during the week they were always available.  I almost always
got connected on the first try and hardly ever got disconnected.  I had 15
hours per month for $9.95 which was plenty of time for off-line email and
occassional websurfing.  Sometimes Mom&Pop businesses give you the best price
*AND* the best service.

Larry