[JA] Firefox/Thunderbird/AOL

  • From: Rakenas@xxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:26:36 EST

Larry -

> >>Someone posted instructions on getting Thunderbird working with AOL,
> using
> >>IMAP instead of POP3.  Hopefully those instructions will work for Carolyn
> if
> >>see still wants to get Thunderbird working with AOL.
> >>
> >>IMHO, it might be better to signup for BasicISP and get Thunderbird and
> Eudora
> >>working with that while keep AOL to read her current mail.

-----

I need to call my "buddy" Bob again about a new computer. He seems to be
thinking cheapest he can do but I have a few extra bucks at the moment.

I tried again last night (Wednesday) to use Thunderbird. Once again "failed
to connect to imap.aol.com". When I went to AOL companion I discovered that my
RAM was showing at 100% load. I've also had a couple of occasions of "memory
test fail" at start-up. One AOL tech implied, to say the least, that 64 Mb of
RAM, which is what I have, is rather marginal for AOL 8.0 and suggested that I
should try 7.0.

This all leads me to suspect that maybe my inability to use either
Thunderbird or Eudora is hardware related.

One of the little things that's driving me crazy is that AOL really thinks I
should be using Arial. I keep setting it to Courier New (the best of a bunch
of bad choices), it keeps putting quotes into Arial and sometimes will .not.
hold Courier.
Both Thunderbird and Eudora allow me to use FixedSys!! RAH!!!

So, I will talk to Bob about a new computer. Don't know how long it will take
him to build one for me - he stays pretty busy. When it's ready, hopefully
set up the way I really want it, and I bring it home, I'll start subscribing to
the various lists I'm on (well, I'll probably drop one). When mail starts
flowing, I'll unsubscribe from the AOL address, then drop AOL.

Carolyn

Carolyn