[JA] Firefox/Thunderbird/AOL

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:27:08 -0500

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:20:10 EST Rakenas@xxxxxxx writes:

> No, I can't send and receive email with Thunderbird.
> Please note that I'm .still. using AOL.

But what I don't see in the header is, are you using the AOL reader
offline, or online?  And if the proprietary reader is working, what
benefit do you expect from a POP standard one?

> AOL Customer Service advised me to Cntl/Alt/Delete to pop
> up a  Windows box which listed AVGEMC, AVGCC, ZLCLIENT,
> REALPLAY, SM56HLPR, AOLTRAY, and SYSTRAY
> as being in use. I assume the first two are AVG, the next
> might be Zone Alarm.
> But what on earth is REALPLAY and SM56HLPR?

Real Player is a sound and movie player.  I find it working on most WinMe
and XP machines, and some Win 98 ones.  I don't know what applications
install it or whether it is heavy.  The last, could it be a modem program
of some sort?

I finally figured out that AVG 7 is making a heavy load on a relative's
128 Meg WinMe Compaq 5301.  That's why I cannot access my
webmail.juno.com from her DSL.  I must figure out whether AVG can become
less a burden, for example by making its resident portion do less, or
must she pay for a security package that weighs less.  Probably if she
pays for any, it will be for an integrated  package, not just a
commercial virus scanner.  Or maybe it's time for a less antiquated
computer.