[JA] Firefox/Thunderbird/AOL

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:32:11 -0500

Woody Allen once said, most things are easier to get into than out of.
AOL is one of those things.

Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:49:24 GMT "mstanek3@xxxxxxxx" <mstanek3@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

M> i thought she and others answered that, but to take this on a
> tangent, i got AOL so i could more easily do mass mailings to a
> local group of around 500 addresses. (sent bcc)  Juno forced
> me to  break the list up into batches of 50 addresses each.

There you go.  Mass mailings.  AOL can do a number of businesslike
things, while Juno is entirely a consumer offering.  You have found a
good reason to get into AOL.  Most people who use AOL don't have such
good reasons.  They don't ask, don't know, don't think, and get into a
sticky place.

M> may one mail to a large emailing list from JunoMail online?

Originally Juno imposed limits on how many messages we could send in a
day, how many dialup sessions, etc.  This was in order to avoid sending
spam, and to hold down the company's phone line costs and other costs.  I
am unaware that the limits were ever relaxed, much less abolished.  Juno
has always been a consumer service.  A few consumers may desire to
produce businesslike volume, for which Juno is unsuited.

D> Why would anyone want to get mixed up with AOL?
> I'm not trying to be smart or disrespectful to Carolyn
> but why would anyone rather pay $23 bucks
> a month than $9 per year?

It seems an odd strategy for dealing with the demise of the Juno 1.49
proprietary mailer.  Near as I can figure, there must have been a Plan A:

1.  Install and sign up for AOL at $260/year
2.  Quit Juno.
3.  Download and install Thunderbird and Eudora.
4.  Make them work together.
5.  Download and sign up for a cheaper ISP at $95/year.
6.  Make them work together.
7.  Quit AOL.

This complex plan seems to have got hung up on its most difficult Step 4.
 I'm not sure whether Step 4 is possible; certainly it has proven very
difficult.  As far as I can see the job would have been easier without
steps 1 and 4.  Carolyn also seems to have installed AVG Version 7, which
is much heavier than AVG 6 and is gumming everything up.  Perhaps she
decided steps 1 and 5 of this plan require a heavy resident virus
scanner.  Better, it seems to me, to omit those steps and the resident
scanner, or get a lighter scanner.  Or heavier hardware.  Either of which
makes much complication.

The simplest plan, instead of changing ISP, would be Plan B:

1.  Upgrade from Juno 1.49 to Juno 4.0.11.
2.  Upgrade from free Juno service to Megamail at $10/year.

Had she known Version 1.51 would come out, she could use that instead of
Juno 4.  Either way, this plan minimizes the amount of software to
install and harmonize.

Now, having stepped into the mudhole of AOL, she could try Plan C:

1.  Downgrade from Unlimited AOL to Limited Time AOL, at $100/year.
2.  Use the AOL 7 mailer, offline.

At this point, stuck in the mudhole, this is the easiest way.  It's not a
way out of the AOL mudhole, but it's an easy way to get offline mail at
not so high price, and be somewhat happy in the mud.

There can also be, starting at this point, a more complex plan D:

1.  Reinstall Juno.
2.  Sign up for Juno Megamail for $10/year.
3.  Download Eudora and Thunderbird.
4.  Make them work together.
5.  Quit AOL.
6.  Download and install the cheap ISP at $95/year.
7.  Make them work together.
8.  Quit Juno Megamail, or not, since it's cheap.

Yes, this sequence is indeed complex, but it ducks the most difficult,
darn near impossible, step of Plan A.

> I see that both Jim Henderson and George Lunt use Juno addreses.

I use this Juno 4.0.11 mailer several times every day.  And seldom any
other.

"No, Woody, I said *TUCK* the kids in bed."