[JA] Firefox/Thunderbird/AOL

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:08:09 -0500

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:09:59 -0800 "George Lunt" <glunt@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>JH> if someone is already using AOL's proprietary
> > mailer version 8, why put Thunderbird, Eudora,
> > or other non-AOL software into the mix?

GW> Because she wants to DROP AOL and go with a cheaper,
> basic ISP and wants to make sure she has an operable
> e-mail program in place when she makes the switch.

Aha.  Trapped in AOL and seeking an escape.  Seems to me, better not to
get trapped, than fall into AOL and then study how to get unstuck.
Somehow Carolyn fell into the tarpit.  Too bad, since AOL is not very
friendly to standard offline mailers.  Someone should have warned her of
the danger.

Had she kept out of the bog it would be easier to get Eudora, Thunderbird
or other POP mailer to work.  Just sign up with the cheap ISP, and then
install the standard mailer.  But now she's stuck.  Once she gets AOL
working with a POP mailer, another difficult step will lie ahead: Carolyn
will have to solve some of the same problems all over again with the
cheaper ISP.  The people, wherever they may be, who know how to help with
AOL probably won't know how to help with the other ISP.  So, she'll have
to hunt up more advisors.  She has started down a hard road for sure.

If it were a matter of money, and if she wanted to do her E-mail offline,
it would not be such a big problem.  After getting stuck with AOL she
could downgrade to a cheaper, limited time AOL account and use the AOL
mailer offline.

Too bad Carolyn didn't ask you or me or someone else about this plan of
using AOL.  However, with industrious people like you, George, on the
job, there's a good chance this difficult piece of rescue work can be
completed this year.