[JA] Re: Control-alt-delete

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ms.dmouse@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:11:49 -0500

I won't say we have narrowed it down to either a Juno packing problem or
a bad sector in the hard drive, but those are the only prominent suspects
in my mind.

> I shut Juno down.  Then I get the desktop back
> (with the icons, same as when I first turn it on).
> Why should I wait before doing the shut down?

Since it works for me, maybe it will work for you.  I think, when Juno 4
has folder packing to do, it gives us back the desktop and does the work
in a background task that is not listed in Task List.  That way, we can
start using the computer for other purposes.  No big deal on modern fast
hardware, but on our old slow computers it makes a difference which
becomes obvious when we try to close Windows before the background
packing is done.

> Yes, I think it is a hard drive problem.

Easy enough, usually.  Just have to run Scandisk, which is an easy
program as explained in elementary Windoze books or in Windows Help if
you click on Start, Help, and search for "testing disk".  If you prefer
to wait a few weeks for a nice day, I can bicycle to your home and sit
behind you while you start Scandisk.  That's something I do all the time
in return for a good meal.  Well, not often for something as easy and
pleasant as Scandisk, but if you're afraid of Scandisk then this method
can run it.

If there is a hard drive problem that Scandisk cannot fix, the time comes
to think of replacing the drive or the whole computer.  I have replaced
plenty of hard drives and do not recommend you undertaking it.

Replacing a computer does not take great skill or an automobile.  It
isn't as heavy or difficult to carry as a monitor.  You are strong enough
to haul it from your local shopping district on a luggage cart, and smart
enough to follow the big chart that says how to plug it in.  If you don't
like the computers you can buy locally, you can haul one on the subway or
have Dell or other mail order company deliver it to a local mailbox
store.  If you want help in shopping on a weekend or early on a weekday
afternoon, I can steer you away from excessively expensive models.

The main problems with a new computer are, it costs money and runs a
modern operating system.  It also requires shopping, plugging in, storing
accessories (especially software discs and paperwork) so they won't get
lost, and installing the applications.  Each of those items is more scary
than Scandisk.