[JA] Re: Firefox/Thunderbird/AOL

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:05:56 -0500

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:45:16 EST Rakenas@xxxxxxx writes:

> 1. Install AOL 9.0 for 50 days, free as backup in case Juno quit.
> 2. Transfer lists to AOL.
> 3. Download and install Eudora - I'd never heard of Thunderbird.
> 4. Make either Thunderbird or Eudora work with AOL.
> 5. Sign up for myjoi, oops! BasicISP.
> 6. Make sure either Thunderbird or Eudora worked with BasicISP.
> 7. Quit AOL before free trial period ended, which was mid-January.

This is a complex and difficult road, Carolyn, with Step 4 especially
difficult.  Maybe you are trying to go somewhere I cannot imagine, but
AOL isn't on the road to anywhere I can imagine, while Eudora and
Thunderbird look to me more like either end points or detours,  than
steps towards something else.

So now you're stuck in the AOL swamp, burning money and wondering how to
go forward.  Seems to me, if you want to get anywhere, this is not the
place to start, nor a place to visit on the way.  It's a dead end.
Better to turn around and go back to a better starting point:

1.  Reinstall Juno 4 (or 5).
2.  Pay $10 for thirteen months of Juno MegaMail.
3.  Move your lists back to your Juno MegaMail address.
4.  Quit and uninstall AOL.
5.  Uninstall Eudora and Thunderbird.
6.  Reinstall Outlook Express.
7.  Make MSOE work with Juno.

This will get you back to where you started, except you'll be carrying
remnants of AOL, Eudora, and Thunderbird unless you happen to have a disk
image from when you started and can restore that.  From that point you
can decide where you want to go, and plot a simpler, more direct course
that does not wander into the AOL swamp or install unnecessary third or
fourth party software, and can reasonably hope to get you to your goal,
wherever it may be, in less than thirteen months.