[haiku-web] Re: Porting the website theme to Drupal 5.7

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:12:50 -0700

On 17/03/2008, Remi Grumeau <remi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> > On 17/03/2008, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 16:05 -0700, Urias McCullough wrote:
> > >  > On 17/03/2008, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > >  > >  I would be reluctant to put the theme up for anyone to grab. The
> reason
> > >  > >  is that this theme is also part of our identity, and if anyone can
> take
> > >  > >  our theme and use it, then we risk diluting the Haiku brand. Even
> open
> > >  > >  source projects (such as Ubuntu, and even Drupal) take this
> position and
> > >  > >  do not release their website themes, and I think it would be the
> wise
> > >  > >  thing to do for Haiku.
> > >  >
> > >  > My only observation here is that the re-use of nearly the exact same
> > >  > theme on the NorCal-HUG site may already does what you're suggesting
> > >  > we shouldn't allow... Not that I am really one to complain - but we
> > >  > shouldn't maintain a double-standard.
> > >

> > > I am afraid you are missing a fundamental aspect of branding. :)
> > >
> > >  Selectively allowing the use of the theme for Haiku user groups (such
> as
> > >  NORCAL-HUG) or regional chapters of the Haiku project (such as
> > >  haiku-os.it) does not dilute the brand, but rather strengthens it.
> >
> > Ok, thanks for clarifying your position - I was definitely confused
> > about what you were saying previously.

> > haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Haiku Web & Developer Support Discussion List
> >

> Well... since it's an HTML website, anybody can easily "save as" the page,
> which would include CSS, JS and HTML structure. Ok, for a Drupal use, it
> could then be a bit of work to reintegrate the whole thing into a default
> installation but this is possible.
>  So not to release a public theme on a Drupal theme website, i'd rather
> would give a free download access to a predone Drupal install with the Haiku
> theme preset for anyone who want to create a Haiku related website (for a
> BeBug, a local translation or a bebits-like website).
>
> To me, that would mix with the freely available way of opensource project
> and the minimum control of where and why this theme could be used, for the
> reason Jorge told about (in which i'm totally agree).

Yes, I was actually of the opinion that "public source" is not a
license to re-use... It's often safer to provide public source and a
restrictive license enforceable by the copyright holders. Some people
might get all uppity about this - but it's generally how you protect
branding.

Even if someone created an identical look-a-like theme, you're stuck
in the same position of having to send a cease-and-desist letter, hope
that they obey, otherwise go the legal route. By providing the source
publicly and having someone "steal" it this way and violating the
license, at least you've made it easier to prove that they infringed
on your copyright and/or trademark directly and knowingly.