[haiku-web] Re: Porting the website theme to Drupal 5.7

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:59:04 -0700

Howdy, and Happy Easter (to those who celebrate it). :)

Niels Reedijk wrote:
Hi Curtis,

2008/3/23, Curtis Wanner <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
 Nielx wrote:
Other thing: I think the website port should be a group effort, but
the current array of communication tools is inadequate. I have a list
of all the modules we need for drupal 5. I would like to publish this,
but I don't know where, since it is a potential security problem.

I am not sure I understand: what is the problem in publishing the list of modules that we are using?

[snip...]

 2.  IMHO the development section isn't in the best format for developers.
 It feels too bloggish.  While I understand part of the issue is that content
 also needs to added and improved, the current set up just doesn't feel
 right.  Definitely eats up too much paper if you print documents directly
 from the site.

Even with the 'print' button used?

Yes, printing is not well handled by the current theme. But I suspect it would be fairly easy to fix it, by creating a print.css file to be loaded against print media only, so that the output format becomes more printer-friendly.

[snip...]

 In general, I question the "one theme for all" solution. IMHO the current
 theme seems more geared towards the general users and community and not so
 much for developers. If anything, I would think the waltercon
 (http://waltercon.haiku-os.org/ ) site theme lends itself more to a
 developer site.

The current website has been designed with the mindset of that the
audience we want to reach right now are developers (right, Jorge?). In
other words, our users are our developers. To that end, the website
has been designed to integrate all relevant content.

For now, it is a one stop shopping. Having a common theme reinforces the brand, but it is possible to subtly identify the various areas of the website if we wanted to.

Now I envision a stage where we might get a developers.haiku-os.org
website, but not right now. I also don't think that it would be a good
idea to change the theme of the website based on the location you are
in at that point. Let's keep that for when we do an actual release.

I agree that we could look at having a more clearly defined developers section. But I am inclined to think (as Niels does,if I understood him correctly), that it would be better to plan that for the R1 release.

Cheers,

Koki