[haiku-web] Re: Porting the website theme to Drupal 5.7

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:26:59 -0700

Hi Curtis,

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:23 -0400, Curtis Wanner wrote:
> > > Well, I'm typically running 1024x768 at the moment.
> >
> > You should be OK for the most part then. But if not, could you provide
> > URL where you have problems at this resolution?
> >

> http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/nielx/2008-03-22/haiku_alpha_1_status_update_1

This page renders OK in FF, Opera, Safari and IE7. I suppose you are
running IE6 and see the body text moved down below the right column
boxes? This seems to appear only in blog entries, and may be the blog
customization template hitting an IE6 bug. I will try to look into it.

> > Can you be more specific as to what the website -- specifically, he
> > development area -- would require to meet the needs of what you have in
> > mind? I am genuinely interested to know.
>
> For content at the moment -
> A bit abstract yet, but something like Ralf mentions on the openbeos list -
> //www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/03-2008/msg00061.html
>
> I like syllable's explanation of driver development
> http://development.syllable.org/documentation/drivers/index.html
> Axel has done some bit of explanation in this area, but it still needs to be
> expanded upon.
>
> Granted, the fact that Haiku is not yet alpha and there are some things in
> flux makes it a bit harder to write some of this stuff.  But I feel at least
> maybe a plan or template should be in place.  Maybe some of this would be
> covered by the documentation team, but my understanding is that they are
> mainly focused on code and API documentation.

This has hardly anything to do with the website, but rather with the
lack of resources to write such documentation. I suppose Niels could
throw more light into whether the doc team has any plans for this sort
of documentation, which would definitely be useful, but may not be the
priority right now.

> As for what should currently be adjusted in the developer area (web site
> wise) is of course a print.css for a better looking printed document.  I'm
> not wild about having the menus on the right when accessing the actual
> documents.  Not sure why I would want listed source activity, latest docs,
> latest bugs & tasks, etc. when accessing a specific document.

The boxes on the right column are simply there to show links to content
that is in some way related to the document that you are reading.

> Also,  I wonder if the developer document categories
> (http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev) should be listed right on
> http://www.haiku-os.org/development.  It seems like a wasted click just to
> see a list of categories.

The development page is the entry point for everything related to
development; as such, it is already pretty crowded, which is why rather
than showing a list of doc categories, it includes links to a few key
dev docs, the dev FAQ, and to the dev doc category index and a full list
of dev docs.

BTW, the list of categories is supposed to help organize (categorize)
the documents in a more or less logical way. If we had just a few docs,
then having categories would be overkill; but given that we do have many
docs (granted, some are old and maybe even obsolete), were we to dump
all of them in a single index page, it would become harder to find what
you are looking for.

> Would be nice to develop summaries for the documents
> (http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/driver_development) and have those
> displayed instead of the first few paragraphs (except for the ones that
> start with a summary of course :P).

Each doc category index displays the "teaser" of the document, which
would ideally be the introduction or summary as you call it.
Unfortunately, some of the documents do not have an intro/summary, so
the teaser is just the first one or two paragraphs.

I have the feeling that the problem with our documentation on the
website lies in how it is more a (chaotic) accumulation of articles,
rather than a planned group effort with a common vision. Kind of ironic
for what Haiku stands for as an OS, but that's what it looks like to
me. But then again, maybe Niels can enlighten us on what can be
expected from the documentation team in this respect.

Cheers,

Koki