[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 09:27:03 +0200

Hi,

Oh, now I see what you mean. I should have tried it before I suggested
it.

If the Internet category contained just Webpositive, we would have
Webpositive before the Office category (wrong alphabetical order) or
if order is adjusted, Webpositive would move somewhere entirely
different when a messaging app is added or if folder name is preserved
Webpositive would just be called "Internet" until the messaging app is
added.

:/

Only time it would make sense is a folder with just one subfolder,
then that folder name should be used.

I was thinking the same thing. That way if someone has three games installed, they would be under Games/, but if someone has 60 installed, they would be divided into sub-categories. However, if someone has 60 Jump&Runs installed, the problem is just shifted. Maybe it cannot and should not be solved. For these reasons: It's very likely that most people have apps installed in many of the top-categories, so it makes sense to have at least those. And the path to apps should be kept short for quicker access. Lastly, it is just irritating if any app changes position (is moved into a sub-category just because another app in the same sub-category is installed).

Best regards,
-Stephan