[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 09:44:44 +1200

On 21 May 2013 09:03, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > However, talking to Stippi, he convinced that a simpler, automated
> approach
> > makes a lot more sense. The basic idea is that the Deskbar menu merges an
> > auto-generated part -- that is all the entries provided by installed
> > packages -- with whatever the user has added manually in
> > ~/config/settings/deskbar/menu/. The assumption is that most users will
> be
> > happy with installed applications appearing automatically in their
> Deskbar
> > menu -- particularly when reasonable categories are provided. For
> puristic
> > users a Deskbar setting to disable the auto-generated part could be
> added.
> > It would revert the behavior to the current one.
>
> I'd like to see the package manager simply provide a symlink so that
> the application appears in Deskbar's Applications menu. We don't need
> to provide an option to turn that off for purists IMHO. The user can
> then manipulate the symlink in Tracker to organize the applications
> beyond that. I'm not sure what else you're thinking but providing the
> package manager with the ability to provide directories like
> Utilities, Accessories, Games, etc. is not a good idea IMHO, just
> provide a symlink to the application in a flat list.

Since the packagefs is read-only (thanks for the clarification, Ingo), I
agree with John of just putting a symlink in like apps already do. People
can re-organise how they like. Surely for uninstall, we can query for links
that point to the installed application so they can be removed, so the
location of these links on BFS volumes post-install shouldn't matter?

Also, not a fan of separation of package-based apps from non-packaged-based
apps as suggested by PulkoMandy. There's no need to know how an app is
installed for showing it in the Deskbar -- things should be seamless if you
want it to be successful.