[haiku-development] RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 22:28:08 +0200

Greetings,

I'm currently in the process of extending the package file format to provide additional meta information, like what settings files the package provides/creates, what Unix users/groups it requires, etc. One of the things I considered adding are information regarding the Deskbar menu items the package would like to add. When installing a package the package manager would then ask the user whether they should actually be created.

However, talking to Stippi, he convinced that a simpler, automated approach makes a lot more sense. The basic idea is that the Deskbar menu merges an auto-generated part -- that is all the entries provided by installed packages -- with whatever the user has added manually in ~/config/settings/deskbar/menu/. The assumption is that most users will be happy with installed applications appearing automatically in their Deskbar menu -- particularly when reasonable categories are provided. For puristic users a Deskbar setting to disable the auto-generated part could be added. It would revert the behavior to the current one.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

CU, Ingo