[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 22:30:35 +0200

On 05/22/2013 07:50 PM, John Scipione wrote:
I'd like to present two websites that illustrate the two ways of
thinking. The first is the Gnome 3 page found here:

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

The second is the Cinnamon page found here:

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/

The two methods, flat list vs. categories is contrasted in the first
image on each page because it is a central difference between the two
DEs.

I cannot think of a better way to show that a flat paginated list of
applications represents the new and improved way of organizing apps
illustrated by Gnome 3, while relegating apps to categories is the old
way illustrated by Cinnamon. Please do not repeat the mistakes of
Gnome 2 and Cinnamon, instead embrace the progress that has been made.

This is really getting off topic, but I can't resist commenting: It is utterly beyond me why there seems to be a new trend of developers and product managers blindly transferring smart phone solutions to the desktop. Or maybe I misunderstand something and the Gnome 3 solution is actually for a phone/tablet. Because for the desktop is obviously unsuitable.

CU, Ingo