[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 17:51:37 +0200

> Also, not a fan of separation of package-based apps from non-packaged-based
> apps as suggested by PulkoMandy. There's no need to know how an app is
> installed for showing it in the Deskbar -- things should be seamless if you
> want it to be successful.

That's not what I was thinking of.
I was going for something more like Windows XP start menu, which allows you
to pin some items in an easily reachable list, and let the complete menu be
a mess, since after some time there will be so much entries in it no one
will care about using it anymore.

These auto-generated menus, wether categorized or not, always end up like
that for me at least. So I'd rather keep an hand-created area where I can
put the really useful stuff and ignore the generated part. Failing that I'll
do the same thing as in Linux, that is, launch everything from Terminal. The
fact that both Ubuntu and Windows have switched to "type what you search"
for their application menus hints towards the fact I'm not alone.

--
Adrien.