[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:01:12 -0400

I'm coming in kind of late to this discussion, but sometimes that is
useful when the discussion gets this long.

In general I support the original automated approach to managing the
Deskbar menu. I also think reasonable categories are fine.

Though given that so far John, Simon and Jessica would prefer not to
have categories, I think adding an option for that is also reasonable.
I know we don't like excessive options (cue Matt) but given that 3 out
of about 11 people (27%) who have participated in this thread would
prefer not to have categories, I think it should be an option. So that
makes the choice a simple 3-option radio button:

How should the Deskbar menu be organized?
(*) Automatically, with applications in categories
( ) Automatically, with applications in a flat list
( ) Not at all, let me organize it

To ease the switching between the first two options, each package
could create two symlinks, one in an "All" category/folder, and then
in whatever category/folder the application is in (which could also be
under a "Categorized" folder.) Then the Deskbar's "view" could quickly
change between the two options by just looking at whichever top-level
folder the user wanted (All or Categorized.)

In fact the package manager could always create the symlinks this way
and the above option really is what the Deskbar "looks at" to create
the menu. For the last option the Deskbar ignores the package manager
symlinks and just looks at the user's folder. But the package manager
symlinks should still be there (with an easy way to find that folder
in the Deskbar options) so that the user could copy that list as a
starting point for their custom menu.

I think that can make everyone happy with minimal fuss.

--
Regards,
Ryan