[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 08:37:23 +1200

On 21 May 2013 08:28, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm currently in the process of extending the package file format to
> provide additional meta information, like what settings files the package
> provides/creates, what Unix users/groups it requires, etc. One of the
> things I considered adding are information regarding the Deskbar menu items
> the package would like to add. When installing a package the package
> manager would then ask the user whether they should actually be created.
>
> However, talking to Stippi, he convinced that a simpler, automated
> approach makes a lot more sense. The basic idea is that the Deskbar menu
> merges an auto-generated part -- that is all the entries provided by
> installed packages -- with whatever the user has added manually in
> ~/config/settings/deskbar/**menu/. The assumption is that most users will
> be happy with installed applications appearing automatically in their
> Deskbar menu -- particularly when reasonable categories are provided. For
> puristic users a Deskbar setting to disable the auto-generated part could
> be added. It would revert the behavior to the current one.

Don't you already have a virtual filesystem layer approach? If the package
has a link in a virtual deskbar folder for the app, then there's really
nothing special at all to do. It'd be the equivalent of extracting a zip
file to /boot.

Of course, I'm assuming a user can delete a file that comes from a
package...

Jessica