[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 00:33:54 +0200

On 05/20/2013 11:44 PM, Jessica Hamilton wrote:
Since the packagefs is read-only (thanks for the clarification, Ingo), I
agree with John of just putting a symlink in like apps already do.
People can re-organise how they like. Surely for uninstall, we can query
for links that point to the installed application so they can be
removed, so the location of these links on BFS volumes post-install
shouldn't matter?

That is possible ATM. However, once we go multi-user the user uninstalling an application has no business doing anything in other users' settings directory. Deskbar could ignore and even remove broken symlinks, though.

Automatically removing manually editable symlinks may be annoying anyway: If you reorganize your Deskbar menu, after uninstalling and reinstalling an application (aka updating), its symlink will have moved back to the default location.

CU, Ingo