[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 01:06:00 +0200

On 05/22/2013 10:06 PM, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
The packager (the person creating the package) would be responsible for
adding a symlink in the data/deskbar/menu hierarchy to the package. When
the packages are extracted (physically in case of the current zip files,
virtually with packagefs), depending on their installation locations,
the three directory hierarchies
/boot/{system,common,home/config}/data/deskbar/menu would be created.

What I do not really like about this solution is the possibility to choose arbitrary directories for the links. Furthermore, having to create links for an additional "all" flat list, or whatever we'll come up with in the future, sounds rather annoying.

On a related topic, should it be allowed for applications to put links to documentation, etc. in there, too? Because those would further complicate flat lists, too.

Bye,
   Axel.