[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 17:24:13 -0400

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> In fact the package manager could always create the symlinks this way
>> and the above option really is what the Deskbar "looks at" to create
>> the menu. For the last option the Deskbar ignores the package manager
>> symlinks and just looks at the user's folder. But the package manager
>> symlinks should still be there (with an easy way to find that folder
>> in the Deskbar options) so that the user could copy that list as a
>> starting point for their custom menu.
>
> You lost me there. In the solution I originally proposed the package manager
> wouldn't have to do anything. In fact, it is completely independent of
> package management and could as well be implemented in the master right now.

Sorry, I meant the package FS. My main point in the above paragraph is
that even if the Deskbar is ignoring the
/boot/{system/common}/data/deskbar/menu (which is "managed" by the
package FS), the user could copy those symlinks to the
~/config/settings/deskbar/menu directory as a base for the manually
managed Deskbar menu.

> I'm not a big fan of the package manager actually creating symlinks in
> ~/config/settings/deskbar/menu. As written in an earlier mail this is bound
> to cause issues on package removal or update.

That's not what I was saying, and I agree.

--
Regards,
Ryan