[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 20:26:54 +0200

On 05/23/2013 07:51 PM, Denis wrote:
On 23 May 2013, at 15:03, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
If you are concerned that creative application developers will invent new
categories, we can define a fixed set and enforce it in Deskbar (by simply
ignoring others) and/or in haikuporter as part of checking the packaging policy.

This fixed set should be akin to mime-types so it can be properly localised, as
already suggested.

I don't see the connection. Nowhere else do we use MIME-type-like strings for translation. Why should it be necessary in this case?

I think the menu should show items based on both their disk location and their
predefined category.

- By default apps are added at the top level.

I believe so far no one has suggested to list applications at the top level. It's either to use detailed categories or a catch-all "Applications" category (probably alongside "Preferences").

- Apps at the top level which have a predefined category are listed in the
appropriate submenu
- Apps in a subfolder are listed in a submenu named after the subfolder

Why two methods of specifying categories?

- If a folder is empty it is not listed, and if a folder has a single entry the
folder is replaced by that entry (app or subfolder). This is to prevent
unnecessary navigation.

IMO (a) that would just look weird and (b) the location of an app would no longer be well-defined.

- It is possible to change the destination folder of new apps. So if you want a flat
list, create a subfolder and put all apps there. If you want known apps to go in their
categories and new apps to be segregated in a special submenu, keep known apps at the top
level and change the default destination to "New!" or whatever you want to call
it.

What would be the purpose of this feature?

If this is about making recently installed applications (I suppose that's what you mean by "new applications") easier to find, then I would suggest a (virtual) category "Recently installed" which would be populated automatically by Deskbar with links to the recently installed applications (additional to their usual location in the menu) or, probably better, a Windows-style highlighting of the menu items leading to the recently installed applications.

CU, Ingo